Thursday, December 6, 2012

Water

The Boy Scout motto is, “Be prepared.” Even if you were never in the Scouting program, this is a good motto to adopt. In your effort to stay healthy, it’s of great value to learn to think ahead.

I’m sure you hear this from your parents and doctors, but it’s a true fact that drinking plenty of water helps prevent pain crises. I have found it also prevents headaches. Most doctors advise Sickle Cell patients to drink a gallon of water a day. Water allows sickle cells to pass through the veins more easily and can prevent sickling. One or two days of not drinking enough water can trigger a pain crisis.

I have three different sized insulated water bottles. One holds about 12 oz. and is used when I’m just going to be out of the house for maybe an hour. The second, which holds about 60 oz., I carry if I’m going to be out of the house for several hours. Then I have a bottle that holds nearly a gallon of water. That one I take with me if I’m going to be out all day.

It’s wise to get into the habit of taking water with you everywhere you go, regardless of how brief you think you may be out. You never know when something may delay you longer than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment