Friday, December 7, 2012

Sickle Cell Disease Statistics

Do you feel as though you have a complete knowledge of Sickle Cell Disease? From your own personal experiences, do you believe you know all the problems Sickle Cell can cause? This is how I felt when I was a teenager. My belief was, “I live with Sickle Cell every day, why should I read about it?” When it came to certain things, I was a pretty closed minded teenager. As a result, I seldom looked for information to add upon my personal experience. I encourage you to learn from my mistake. Take the time to study and learn as much as possible about your illness.

Though as a teen I failed to expand my knowledge of Sickle Cell Disease, as an adult I’ve done a great amount of research about Sickle Cell; especially in preparing to write this book. It was exciting to learn about the progress made over the years in its treatment. I also discovered new things about my disease and found myself saying, “I wish I had known that when I was a teenager. It would have made a difference in how I felt about myself as a youth.”

As you continue to educate yourself about your illness, you may also discover something that gives you some peace of mind. Regardless if the information contained in this chapter improves your understanding of Sickle Cell Disease, it’s knowledge that can be used to educate others who are less informed.

World Wide:
➢    “Somewhere, every minute, a baby dies from Sickle Cell Disease (SCD).”
➢    Approximately 300,000 infants are born with the more severe forms of Sickle Cell each year.
➢    “In underdeveloped countries, 60-to-80 percent of babies with SCD die before two years of age.”

In the United States:
➢    An estimated 70,000-100,00 people live with this illness.
➢    An average of 1,000 children are born with SCD yearly.
➢    500 people die from SCD each year .

The African Continent:
➢    Accounts for 70% of world’s Sickle Cell sufferers.
➢    An average of 200,000 children are born with SCD each year

In the Country of Nigeria:
➢    100,000 infants die from SCD annually.
➢    150,000 of Africa’s 200,000 Sickle Cell births occur in Nigeria.

When I read for the first time that an average of 100,00 infants die from Sickle Cell Disease each year in Nigeria, my heart sank. If such infant death rates existed in the United States, the public outcry would be enormous. People would demand more be done in search for a cure. Bringing awareness of Sickle Cell Disease’s impact on societies throughout the world is something I believe every nation needs to work on. Talking with others about your personal experiences with this illness helps make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment