Thursday, December 6, 2012

Don't Shut People Out

In "The Salvation of Service" section, I discussed the benefits of service. This works both ways. The same way other people can benefit from your service, your life can likewise be blessed by the service others provide you. At times it can be difficult to accept assistance. However, there are those instances when a helping hand from a supportive friend is precisely what you need most.

I once had a friend who came to my house and asked if he could wash the mountain of dirty dishes he observed piled sky high in my kitchen. Being the neat freak I am, I always keep my home clean and orderly. At the time, however, I had been too ill to care. My friend saw a need and made use of an opportunity to serve. I could have refused his offer, allowing my pride to get in the way. Instead, by permitting him to do this simple but kind act, it went a long way to bettering our friendship. By cleaning my dishes, my friend not only removed the stress I had about the mess in my kitchen, but he terminated the life form that was growing on my stack of dirty dishes.

Part of enduring your trials includes not shutting the people close to you out of your life. When you’re in the middle of a bad crisis, often there’s little friends and family can do to help relieve the pain. Despite this, those closest to you may have a need to show their love and concern by doing something for you that you, for the moment, cannot do for yourself.

Whether it’s taking you some place you need to go, washing your car, going to the store for you, helping with chores, or doing your dishes it’s been my experience that friends are happy to help. Often, we become so use to doing things on our own, that the hardest thing to do is ask for help. Learn to allow those in your support group to assist you when they offer. Also, don’t be ashamed to ask for help when you need it. Friendships deepen when service is given. This is why it’s important to surround yourself with positive and uplifting people. The strength you gain from the love they give can help you summon the courage needed to brave the trials your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment