Friday, December 7, 2012

Pain Relief Method #9 – Prayer

The last two methods I’m going to discuss are prayer and meditation. What’s the difference between the two? I would define meditation as using the power of your mind to find relief from pain and stress. Prayer I would define as calling upon a higher power, like God, to help deliver you from pain and stress. One you summon within yourself, the other is an external power you call upon, like the Force. The Light Side of the Force, of course.

I am very religious and prayer has always been of great benefit to me. Prayer can be a powerful tool in coping with pain. Though prayers may not always remove all my discomfort, it does help me better manage my pain, as well as other stressors in life. This is true for many people. According to a 2004 Government survey, 62% of adults in the U.S. use prayer for health reasons.  (In case you were wondering, no, I do not pray to Yoda.)

Prayer is a deeply personal aspect of one’s beliefs. The experiences I have in making prayer a part of my daily life may be very different from yours. If prayer, religion, or faith in God, aren’t a part of your life, I would encourage you to seek these things out. See if there is room in your life for them. You may discover some new tools that will not only help you manage your pain, but help you find peace as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment