Thursday, December 6, 2012

Splenic Sequestration & Sickle Cell

There’s another big medical term to use. The spleen is the organ that helps the body fight infections and filter out abnormal red blood cells, namely sickle cells. Pooling of blood in the spleen is known as Splenic Sequestration. When this  occurs, the spleen becomes clogged with sickle cells. This restricts the flow of blood out of the spleen and prevents it from working properly. At first this may cause the spleen to become enlarged and blood transfusions may be needed to increase your red blood cell count. This condition is most common in early childhood.

In time, the spleen may begin to shrink and removal of it may be necessary. Often the spleen will shrink so much that little, if anything remains of it and the spleen is reabsorbed by the body. This is known as autosplenectomy.

I was in my childhood when my body autosplenectomized itself (I just invented that word). Whenever an abdominal ultrasound is performed on me, I always let the technician struggle in their search to find my spleen for a few minutes before I tell them I don’t one. My sense of humor is a little twisted; I admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment