Friday, December 7, 2012

High Blood Pressure (Pulmonary Hypertension) & Sickle Cell

The term pulmonary is used when referring to the lungs. Hypertension means abnormally high blood pressure. So the medical term, Pulmonary Hypertension means a person has high blood pressure in the arteries that supply blood to the lungs.

Sickle cells are kind of like social cliques, they prefer to stick together. As they cling to each other, blood clots can form. Often they will stick to the walls of capillaries, veins, and arteries—not unlike wallflowers at dances. This, plague-like build up narrows these passageways and puts strain on the heart. Basically, your heart has to work harder to do less work in an effort to get blood to your lungs. Being overworked, the heart can become enlarged. So you could say, people with Sickle Cell have big hearts.

Enlargement of my heart, and a decrease of its function, is a complication I’ve dealt with since I was a teenager. Over the years I’ve had to learn how to balance the maintenance of my health with performing the physical activities I’ve enjoyed doing. In time, you will find that balance in your life too.

No comments:

Post a Comment