Thursday, December 6, 2012

Leg Ulcers & Sickle Cell

These are sores that may develop on the lower legs, ankles or feet. Ulcers may be small or large. They may be in one spot or encircle the leg. There may be one or many. The sores can heal quickly or last for years. Medicine taken by mouth or put directly on the wound may help them heal, though blood transfusions may also be necessary. Injuries to the skin, improper blood flow, and insect bites, can all cause this often very painful affliction. So it might be wise to keep a can of bug spray handy to fight off pesky, disgusting mosquitoes.

In the summer of 2010, I suffered through this unpleasant complication for the first time. It started innocently enough from a splinter in my foot. Not healing as it should, it eventually turned into an ulcer about the size of a quarter and took three months to heal. I developed another foot ulcer one year later. I banged my foot against a chair and bruised the skin. The bruise turned into an ulcer which, again, took two to three months to heal. These two events taught me the wisdom of protecting and properly taking care of even the smallest of injuries to my feet and legs.

Ulcers were a complication that I never had to worry about until recent years. Clearly, it’s now something I have to be mindful of. If ulcers are not a problem in your life, take note that it’s something that could one day be an issue. Use wisdom and caution in the care of your legs and feet to prevent this complication in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment