Friday, December 7, 2012

Pain Relief Method #3 – Distracting Yourself

Sometimes the best thing you can do when waiting for your medicine to kick in is to try to distract yourself from feeling the pain. If you allow yourself to focus entirely on your discomfort, you will only succeed in making it grow more intense. Learn to focus your attention on something else.

I personally am able to use art and writing as distractions. As a result, I have a number of poems and pieces of art that reflect the pain I was in at the time of their creation. Sometimes the discomfort is too great to do either of those things. In this case, I may watch television, listen to music or inspirational talks, or play a game. I really like listening to old time radio shows like, “The Shadow,” or “The Lone Ranger.” These are the things your grandparents listened to before TV was invented, back in the Dark Ages. Books on tape can also be good distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment