Thursday, December 6, 2012

Choose to Be Happy

It’s been my observation that many people say, “I’ll be happy when I graduate high school . . . when I finish college . . . when I move out of the house . . . when I get my own car . . . when I’m married and have kids . . . I’ll be happy when . . .” You can fill the blank in with anything. There’s a problem in thinking this way. There will always be something between you and the happiness you seek. The trick is to learn to be happy in your current circumstance. Find joy in the things that exist in your life right now; your friends, family, or talents for example. These are the priceless treasures that add joy to your happiness. You only have to recognize how blessed you are and choose to be happy.

Making the decision to be happy wasn’t something I fully comprehended until I was nearly twenty-seven years old—call me a slow learner. I was one who always said, “I’ll be happy when . . .” As a result, I wasn’t as happy as I could have been for a long time. I kept waiting for happiness to arrive like a box from a mail delivery service. I finally learned happiness is something I carry within myself. Like taking offense, it’s a choice.

Once I understood this, I changed some things in my life. When people asked, “How are you today, Jon,” I decided I would no longer give my typical answer, “I’m alive,” “I’m enduring,” “I’m surviving,” or “I’m here.” Instead I would say, “I’m happy.” It wasn’t long after this when I realized I truly was happy. Why shouldn’t I be happy? I thought. I’m alive, I have tons of friends, I have a wonderful family and I have many things to be happy about.

Nearly ten years have passed since that transformation occurred inside me. Though, of course, some days, weeks, months, or even years are harder than others, I can still say I am happy. I can say that because it’s a state of mind; it’s a feeling I carry within myself. I’ve made that choice. I’m at peace. I am truly happy.

Do you best to embrace that way of thinking. See the beauty in your life and all the ways in which you are blessed. Make the choice to be happy and be happy. Yes, life can be challenging. Living with a chronic illness makes life additionally trying at time. Despite this, joy is still available to you if you want it. If you believe it, you can be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment