Friday, December 7, 2012

Preparation - Be Calm and Breathe Normally

When I was young, before I learned the techniques I’m about to share, I remember how easy it was to allow myself to become almost panicky during a really bad pain crisis. I would tense my body and either breathe too fast or not enough. This would cause my heart to beat faster, deprive me of oxygen, and lead to more discomfort. With my father’s help, I learned to control my anxiety and pain much better.

The first steps to using any kind of mental discipline for pain management begins with training yourself to stay emotionally calm when hurting. If you allow yourself to become fearful or anxious during a crisis, the result will be more pain. Learning to keep yourself physically relaxed is closely connected with staying mentally calm. Out of control emotions and tense muscles are going to add stress to your already distressed body. So, despite how severe your discomfort might be, remain as calm and relaxed as you possibly can.

When a really bad crisis strikes, and it feels like a million needles are trying to push their way out of your body with every heartbeat and every breath, it can be a challenge to control your breathing and heart rate. However, learning to do this while in discomfort is another part of learning to control your pain. A crisis occurs when sickle cells prevent normal oxygen and blood flow. This makes breathing naturally especially important so your cells can deliver the much needed oxygen.

No comments:

Post a Comment