Thursday, December 6, 2012

Infections & Sickle Cell

Another function of the spleen is to help the body fight off infections. As a result of having a small spleen or no spleen at all, Sickle Cell patients often have a decreased immune system and are at risk of getting frequent infections. That’s why it’s important to stay on top of vaccinations and flu shots. Today it’s common practice by many doctors to begin infants and young children with Sickle Cell on a daily dose of penicillin.

If you’re in school or frequently interact with the public, carrying a small pocket sized container of hand sanitizer is a smart habit to have, especially during cold and flu seasons. You’ll be surprised what a big difference it can make in staying healthy. In high school, I caught every bug that came my way. As an adult, I learned the value of frequently washing my hands and keeping them sanitized. As a result, I now seldom catch a cold or flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment