Thursday, December 6, 2012

Laughter is the Best Medicine

In my family, the strongest personality trait we all share is our sense of humor. Joy and laughter have never been in short supply in my home. Our sense of humor is no doubt our greatest coping strategy. Rather than crying about something, we bash windows, slash tires, and  . . . oops, I mean, we simply laugh. (I was joking of course about the bashing of windows.)

When I was in high school, kids would ask why I laughed so much. My answer was, “Because it feels better than crying.” This is still true today. Laughter is how I deal with nearly all the adversities in my life; and it has served me well. Though, I have to admit, sometimes people don’t understand why I laugh at serious things. It’s just how I cope.

Studies have shown laughter can lower blood pressure, reduce stress hormones, boost the body’s immune system, produce disease-destroying antibodies, trigger the release of endorphins, which are the body’s natural painkillers, and produce a general sense of well-being.

For me, a funny text message can put a smile on my face where there wasn’t one. An instant message on my computer can improve my mood for the entire day. A pleasant phone call from a good friend can help relieve bottled up stress I may be feeling. There are plenty of things in life that can help turn that frown upside down.

In the movie Peter Pan, the characters simply had to “think happy thoughts” to fly. Often, in order to keep happy thoughts bubbling in my head, I make it a point to recall a funny memory or event from my life that always makes me laugh. I might call or email the story to my friend or family whom I experienced that moment with, so we together can enjoy the fun memory. As I reflect on that memory throughout the day, it helps keep a smile on my face when I’m struggling to have one.

Laughing, and making others laugh, is a wonderful enjoyment in life. It’s a powerful tool I encourage you to utilize. One important thing to remember about laugher, there is a big difference between laughing with somebody and laughing at somebody. When we laugh with somebody, we’re enjoying the shared experience together. When we laugh at somebody, it usually means the other person’s feelings are being hurt and they are being made fun of. Nobody likes to be laughed at.

No comments:

Post a Comment