Friday, December 7, 2012

Understand Your Pain

This is another key point to knowing your body. Doctors gain insights about your health when you are able to tell them where your pain is located and what it feels like. For example, it’s important to be able to explain to your doctor how a pain in your stomach is unlike your typical Sickle Cell pain. This will help him/her correctly diagnose if you’re having gallstones or simply ate too much junk food.

If, for example, you are having pain in your hip or back that feels different than a pain crisis, it’s wise to inform your doctor and describe the discomfort. Pain in those areas could be a sign of Avascular Necrosis. Early detection and cautious activity can prevent bigger problems down the road. Learn to understand what your body is trying to communicate to you through your pain.

Admittedly, sometimes it can be difficult to get a doctor to properly understand the pain you are describing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had the following conversation when admitted to the ER:

“Are you having chest pains?” The nurse will ask.

“I’m having Sickle Cell pain, which is in my chest, but I’m not having chest pains in the way you mean.”

“So you’re having chest pain?”

“No. I’m having Sickle Cell pain, which happens to be located in my chest at this time,” and round and round we go with that. Typically, they hook me up to an EKG to make certain I’m not having a heart attack. My heart has hurt at times in the past, and that’s a very different feeling pain than Sickle Cell pain. But getting a medical professional to understand that I am able to tell the difference, is sometimes a challenge.

So, know your pain, and do you best to describe it to your doctors and nurses.

No comments:

Post a Comment