Sunday, December 9, 2012

Treated Differently

Some worry they will be treated differently if they tell their friends or family they have Sickle Cell. Others fear their friends will “feel sorry” for them or be afraid to be around them. Being open and honest with loved ones is the key to preventing this from happening. Communicate with people about your illness in a patient and polite manner. Help them understand how Sickle Cell impacts your life. This will resolve any concerns they may have. Take heart. Be courageous enough to be upfront with people to ensure any fears you may have don’t become reality.

I can honestly say that I’ve never had anybody treat me differently after they learned I live with Sickle Cell Disease. Typically, people want to know more about the illness and are curious how it impacts my daily life. Mostly, they are amazed at the things I endure and how well I cope with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment