Tuesday, December 4, 2012

SPIRITUAL HEALTH - Develop Your Spirituality

So, what does it mean to be spiritually healthy? Ultimately, the answer to that is something you will have to discover for yourself. I think spiritual health may mean different things to different people. For some people it may mean being at peace with who you are; it may include feeling connected to something that is spiritually greater than yourself. For others it may mean having a clear vision of their purpose in life.

For me, being spiritually healthy means living by my religious convictions, and being happy while doing so. It means having a peaceful mind and an inner harmony. My spiritual health is inseparably connected with my relationship with God and feeling my actions are in harmony with His will. It also means living in such a way so I feel God’s presence in my life and His approval of how I’m living it.

I believe hope is as much a necessity of life as water is. Hope is the light that shines brightly within no matter how much darkness may surround us without. Maintaining hope and strengthening your spiritual health while living with a chronic illness can be a difficult challenge. So the question is, how do you do keep yourself spiritually fit and keep hope alive within yourself? All I can do is tell you how I have done it and how I believe you can do the same.

The brightest, most powerful source of hope that has seen me through the darkest of times in my life has been my religious beliefs. My faith in God and my spiritual well-being are what sustain me. I’ll do my best to not get too preachy on you.
Though active and very devoted to my faith, I encourage religious activity, regardless of the name on the building, to everybody, especially to people who have serious health problems. I say this for many reasons.

First, church can provide you with a support network; a group of people who sincerely love and care for you. A people united by faith are a people united by love. With that love comes a wealth of emotional and spiritual strength. Surrounding yourself with likeminded people who are happy, optimistic, and spiritual...it’s a priceless tool when living with a chronic illness. In my life, this has not just been a tool, but a power tool.

Second, the teachings of ones faith can be like a water well from which you can draw an endless supply of hope. Knowing a Higher Power is involved in your life will help you to not feel as alone or discouraged about your circumstance. Believing there is a loving Creator helping you through your struggles enables you to better endure them. I believe there is purpose in everything that happens in life. The teachings I’ve accepted as truth about the purpose of life on earth, why we are here, and what happens to us after we die are what have kept me from becoming an angry bitter person. These, and many other things connected with my faith, give me the strength to make it through each day. Often it’s what gives me the strength to make it through hour by hour and moment by moment.

The third reason I encourage you to find a religion that works for you has to do with depression. I’ll talk more about depression in the next section, but as it pertains to religion, here are some facts to consider.

Studies have shown that people who have a chronic illness are 15%-20% more likely to suffer from depression than the average person.  However, those who use their religious beliefs to help cope with their illness are much less affected by depression. Studies have also shown the more serious one’s illness, the greater benefit their faith is in coping with their illness. This has certainly has been true for me. Depression has raised its ugly head many times in my life. I feel those times of darkness would have been greater in number without my religious views. I also believe I would not have survived some of those bouts with depression without my faith.

Finally, going to church can be good for your social needs as well as your spiritual. At church you may find people your same age, with similar interests and moral standards. This opens doors for developing lasting and meaningful relationships. Nearly every relationship that has had meaning in my life came directly from my church activity. Each of those friendships touched me in ways that made me a better man.

Just to echo what I’ve said before, remember your emotional, mental, spiritual, and physical health are all linked together. In order to remain physically healthy you have to care for each of those four points. Finding a source from which you can draw spiritual strength will be a blessing to you every minute of your life. Spirituality will give you the strength to persevere when it seems like everything else is crashing down around you. God does exist my friend. He loves you. He is there for you. Draw from the power that comes with that knowledge.

If you don’t go to church, talk with your family about it. Maybe finding a place to worship is something you can do together. If that isn’t possible, ask your friends if they go to church and see if you can go with them. If you and your family find a certain faith doesn’t fit your wants or needs, don’t give up. There are plenty of churches to try. Whichever faith you choose make sure it’s a positive and uplifting influence in your life.

If you feel religion isn’t for you, perhaps you’re able to find spirituality in some other form I haven’t mentioned. Whatever works for you, I encourage you to seek a source that can nourish your spiritual needs. These are the ingredients that have worked for me in my quest for a chocolate chip cookie life. It’s up to you to learn for yourself if these ingredients can do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment