Sunday, December 9, 2012

Safety Net

If you have ever seen a high wire circus act, or some other similar dangerous acrobatic feat, there’s often a safety net under the performers. This is set in place to catch them so they don’t go splat on the ground should they fall. Sharing the details of your health with loved ones similarly lays out a massive safety net that helps safeguard your health and life.

If you were to spend the night at a relative’s home and had a serious medical problem occur, would somebody there know how to help you? If out with friends and you suddenly had to go to the hospital, would they know what to tell an ER doctor? If away from home, would those you’re with be able to tell the hospital what medications you’re taking?

In my life, all my friends know I have Sickle Cell. They are aware of my needs, and know that cold causes me a great amount of pain. Many times I’ve had friends turn the air conditioner down, or roll the car windows up, to help me stay warm. Many of my friends are aware of the fact that I often take pain medicine every four hours and, to keep from getting sick from that medication, I have to eat something with it. Sensitive to this, I’ve had friends take notice how much time passed since I last ate and asked if I needed to eat. This is both touching and of comfort.

Having people aware of your needs will help you live a healthier life. If your friends are informed about your medical condition, then you don’t have to worry about being pressured into doing something that may be too taxing on your body. You also don’t have to worry about being embarrassed should a certain need arise. Your true friends care about you, they want to help you stay healthy, and are willing give their assistance when you need it.

Having people mindful of your needs shouldn’t make you feel like you’re being treated differently than the rest of your friends or family. Nor should you feel embarrassed about getting additional attention. Instead, use it as a tool to deepen the love and respect which already exists in your relationships.

In my life there has only been one instance when family wasn’t nearby at a time when I needed to be taken to the hospital. I knew my best friend was reliable and I called her at work. Without hesitation, without needing an explanation, and without delay, she left work and drove me to the hospital. She remained by side for several hours in the ER until I was admitted. I pray that you also have this kind of “safety-net” which comes from the love of family and trusted friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment