Friday, December 7, 2012

Right to Find a Doctor You Can Trust

I’m by no means a lawyer and this book certainly cannot be considered the bible of legal medical advice. Rather, these are the things I’ve experienced throughout my life that I feel all patients need to be aware of. Parents and patients need to know their rights and not be afraid to properly exercise them.

First, you have the right to be seen and treated by a doctor you can trust. I have been blessed with the same Sickle Cell doctor for the past twenty-five years. He’s a gentle, kind, and caring man by the name of Dr. Antranik A. Bedros MD. Through his extensive knowledge of Sickle Cell Disease and how it uniquely affects me, he has been instrumental in preserving my life.

Dr. Bedros always made sure my parents and I understood why he was recommending a procedure or treatment. He made certain we understood everything correctly and the risks involved, if any. He also kept us informed about the latest treatments. If by chance Dr. Bedros didn’t have a solution to one of my medical problems, he researched it, and consulted with other doctors throughout the country.
When choosing your doctors, remember you are putting your life in their hands. The doctor you choose, in all reality, could be the difference between life and death, or hope and despair.

I once read a heart-breaking account on a Sickle Cell forum from a young man. Every time he went to see his doctor, the physician and his nurses treated him as though it was going to be their last time seeing him alive. The doctor and his staff believed this young man should go home and prepare for death because, in their opinion, he “didn’t have much time left.” This was his experience for many, many, many years.

Not only was I terribly saddened for this individual, but I was horrified by the story. I couldn’t conceive how a doctor could break the oath “to do no harm” in such a manner. No patient should have to leave his/her doctor’s office in a state of despair. There is always hope, and it’s a doctor’s job to help instill that glimmer of hope in you.

If you feel your doctor is doing more harm than good, either to your mind or your body, if you think he/she doesn’t have a proper understanding of Sickle Cell or there are other issues that make you distrust your doctor’s judgment, know you have the right to find a doctor you can have confidence in.

No comments:

Post a Comment