Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pursue A Career

Going to college and earning a degree is something that is becoming more and more of a necessity in order to find work in the competitive world we live in. When pursuing a carrier, its important to find one you’ll enjoy and one that won’t over-tax your Four Points of Health.

In our age of technology, many people are able to have a productive career right from their homes. Computers and video conferencing allow people in many professions to do the same job from their home that others do in the office of their employer. Others make their own hours by running their own home-based business. In this day and age there are many options available that can allow you to enjoy employment.

Though employment has not been possible in my life, this is not the case with everybody who has Sickle Cell Disease. Men and women who have our illness are doctors, lawyers, professional singers, and work in many fields of life. If you have a dream of being something, pursue it. If you desire to accomplish something, and most importantly, if you believe you can achieve it, you can achieve it. Believe in yourself. Believe in yourself. Believe in yourself. Did I mention it’s important to believe in yourself?

A few years ago, during a routine visit with my doctor, he told me of a patient he had. This patient was near my age and had the same severity of Sickle Cell Disease I do. Like me, his hemoglobin hovered around six. His chosen life profession was that of a lawyer. Though the mental and physical demands of a lawyer were quite taxing, this gentleman, because he loved what he did, found a way to make it work. Like the saying goes, “when there’s a will, there’s a way.”

In talking about pursuing a career, I want to be a little repetitive. I’ve mentioned several times that pursuing a career is something that’s not been possible for me. In no way do I want you to assume the same will be true for you. In fact, I want you to assume you will have the profession of your dreams. I want you to believe you will reach that goal. I want you to hunger for it and work toward achieving your dream.

I mentioned that I’m an artist. I haven’t always been. When I was about twenty-six, I saw a movie that inspired me to become an artist. So I bought some paper, pencils, a couple art books, and began drawing. Though I have taken a few classes, for the most part, I learned on my own how to draw. Now it’s something I’m good at. Some people, when they see my artwork, they say, “I could never learn to draw that well.” This is what I tell people who say such things to me: “That's not true. While it is true that some people have a greater natural talent than others for art, if you work at it, if you practice enough, any one can be an artist. If you believe you can achieve it, you can achieve it.”

The same is true for the career of your dreams. If you want to be lawyer, be a lawyer. There are lawyers who have Sickle Cell. If you want to be a doctor, be a doctor. Whatever your dream is, believe you can achieve and make it happen. Yes, you will have obstacles. Yes, your health will give you challenges. But do not assume that because you live with Sickle Cell Disease, you won’t be able to pursue a career. Assume the opposite and work to achieve, no matter how long it may take.

No comments:

Post a Comment