Thursday, December 6, 2012

Power of Attorney

If you’re under eighteen years old, this isn’t something you have to worry about. However, when you become a legal adult, it’s something everybody should have prepared. A Power of Attorney is a legal document that gives the person of your choosing the power to make decisions for you if you’re unable. If unconscious in the hospital, for example, it gives the person you name the right to make choices about your medical care. Without this legal paperwork, there could be questions about who has that authority. You can ask your doctor or hospital for the proper forms.

As an adult it’s extremely important that the person with Power of Attorney knows what your wishes are. A DNR Order is a perfect example. A DNR Order means Do Not Resuscitate. If I were in the hospital and my heart stopped because a lightening bolt came through my window and struck me in the head, I would want the doctors to do what they could to revive me and save my life. In the event of a horrible accident, some people may wish to be put on life support while others may not.

Talk with your family members about what you would want to happen if certain things were to take place. If those vital decisions haven’t been made ahead of time, somebody you don’t know may make them for you and you may not agree with their decision. Life is unpredictable. It’s wise to prepare for the unexpected as best you can.

I know many of the concepts I’ve discussed are pretty basic, but they are valuable habits to get into. I believe one of the reasons why I’ve managed to stay out of the hospital for six years is largely due to the fact that I’ve learned to properly manage my illness. You can also avoid frequent hospitalizations by practicing these simple things in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment