Thursday, December 6, 2012

Medical Journal

Living with Sickle Cell Anemia naturally means frequent visits to the doctor and having a multitude of tests performed throughout your life. As the years pass, it can be difficult to remember what complications happened when, and where you had various tests performed. Trust me, the older you get, the more your memory tends to get a little . . . umm . . . fuzzy; I think that’s the word I’m looking for. For this reason, I keep a personal medical journal.

In my medical journal I keep track of what doctors I’ve seen and the date I saw them. I record dates of medical procedures I’ve had done, where they were performed, and what the results were. I write down questions I want to ask my doctors the next time I see him/her and the answers I received to those questions during my visit, as well as other things discussed. A medical journal can also be used to keep track of hemoglobin levels, blood pressure, and other changes in stats over the years.

As you become older and your medical history grows, the more useful a journal will become. Writing down all the above information not only will prepare you for future appointments with your doctors, but it’ll allow you to stay informed about your medical history.

No comments:

Post a Comment