Friday, December 7, 2012

Managing Your Disease

When I was about twenty-five, I made a routine visit to my heart doctor. A blood test revealed that my potassium level was dangerously high. I was about one point away from having a heart attack. My doctor immediately put me on various medications and told me I had to stop eating high potassium foods like tomatoes, potatoes and, basically, all fruit except apples and grapes. Needless to say, I was kind of upset. All these forbidden foods were things I loved to eat and did so often.

For a time I was really angry and depressed because I loved those foods and didn’t want to give up yet another enjoyment in life; but I had little choice. With time, as my potassium level returned to normal, I learned I could still eat those favorite foods, as long as I did so in small amounts and only occasionally. Just don’t tell my heart doctor. Still to this day I enjoy those foods, but I’m wise and cautious not to eat them too frequently or in excess. Because I’m careful, my potassium level is still were it ought to be.

There are many things like this in my life, as I’m sure there are in yours; adjustments you’ve had to make in order to manage your illness. The process of change can sometimes be a bumpy emotional journey, especially in the beginning. However, if you educate yourself and learn to adapt when necessary while keeping a positive attitude, the journey won’t be as difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment