Friday, December 7, 2012

Keep a List of Your Medications

Each time you go to the doctor or are admitted into the hospital, you’re going to be asked details about the medications you’re taking. I have found it helpful to have a list of all my prescriptions. It’s a list I create on my computer, which I update regularly, print out, and carry with me. On it I detail the name of each prescription, what the dosage is, how often I take it, the name and phone number of the prescribing doctor, as well as the phone number of the pharmacy where I get it filled. I also list the medications I’m allergic to and the phone numbers of family members to contact in case of an emergency.

If I go on a trip with friends, family, or if I spend a lot of time with a particular person, I give them a copy of that list. I also make sure everybody in my house knows where to find it. That way, if I became sick and unable to speak for myself, others have that vital information to give the doctors in the E.R.

Having that list handy when visiting my physician makes things a little more convenient. Rather than trying to recite from memory the pharmacy of medications I’m taking, I simply hand the nurse my prepared list. You may find it useful to make a similar list of the things you are taking. If you are fortunate enough to have a smart phone, it’s easy to use various apps to create a list of your medications. Since you are likely to always have your phone on you, it makes it very convenient to always carry your list of medications with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment