Thursday, December 6, 2012

It's Not a Race

Many enrolled in college are what you call full-time students. This means they generally take four or more classes. Depending on how your body handles stress, you may or may not be able to take four classes per semester. When I went to college, I quickly learned that being a full-time student was too taxing for my body. I could only take two or three classes at a time. So, whatever goals you set for yourself in going to college, remember to balance it with your medical needs.

If you find taking fewer classes is what you also have to do, it’s important to not compare yourself to other students. Most can follow a two, four, six or eight year plan to achieve their academic goals. If it takes you longer than your friends to complete your schooling, it’s no big deal. What matters is that you finish.

Using myself as an example, as a result of only taking two or three classes per semester, my time in college was lengthened. I often compared my slow progress to my friend’s seemingly “fast” progress. As a result, I often felt bad about myself. In time I came to understand that college, and life, is not a race. I learned everybody has their own timetable, their own challenges, and their own path to follow in life. Completing the goals you have set for yourself at the rate you can accomplish them is what’s important.

No comments:

Post a Comment