Thursday, December 6, 2012

Increased Life Expectancy

I was one day conversing with a man who told me about his aunt who had Sickle Cell—she passed on at the age of thirty. Being thirty-two years old at the time, I was curious to know what kind of lifestyle his aunt lived. He told me she was a heavy drinker, smoker, and used illegal drugs. I felt sad for that woman. Though I did not know her I felt I understood her. I’m guessing she, like me, and possibly you, spent much of her time in a hospital. She probably struggled with many of the complications common to Sickle Cell patients. As a result, it’s likely she believed she wouldn’t live a long life, and thought to herself, “I’m going to die young anyway, so I might as well do what I want.” Though I understand the temptation to feel this way, it’s essential that you don’t.

People with Sickle Cell Disease are living longer than they ever have. If you recall from previous sections, I’ve talked about some of the treatments, medications, and even the cure that is available today. With today’s medical understanding of Sickle Cell Disease, you and I have a greater hope of living longer and healthier lives than what use to be possible. Remember the story I shared about the women with Sickle Cell who are in the eighties? That inspires hope for us all.




No comments:

Post a Comment