Sunday, December 9, 2012

Don't Want Others to Know

Perhaps you don’t like talking about your illness because you’re a private person and feel “it’s nobody’s business.” To this I say, don’t underestimate the power of love. Living with Sickle Cell Anemia is a difficult challenge. You can’t do it alone. Some days it will be the simplest act of kindness you receive from family or friends that will keep you from loosing hope. Compassion from the ones you share your life with may be the best medicine you ever receive.

Despite the fact that I’m quite open about living with Sickle Cell, I can relate to feeling a need to keep certain things about your illness private. There have been times in my life when I didn’t talk about a new complication that arose in my health even with my closest friends. In those instances I found that I had to come to terms with the latest issue in my life myself before I could talk about it with others. Ultimately, however, sharing those personal issues with the people I most trust has always proven to be a blessing. Friends and family can be a powerful source of strength.

Now that I‘ve talked about some of the reasons why you may not want to tell others you live with Sickle Cell Anemia, let’s discuss some of the reasons why I believe you should tell people.

No comments:

Post a Comment