Friday, December 7, 2012

Don't Ignore the Problem

Accepting the reality that you have an illness, which has to be wisely managed on a daily basis, is not always an easy thing to do. As a result, some people choose to become unpleasant individuals. They may allow anger and negativity to be the driving forces in their life. Opting to have this kind of attitude is not only harmful to you and damaging to your quest for a life of peace, but it also hurts everybody around you.

For me, accepting my illness includes: choosing to be open about it with those who know me; acknowledging that there’s no shame in saying, “I have an illness that affects every aspect of my life;” it means finding ways to make peace with the various complications that come with having Sickle Cell Disease. I’ve accepted the fact that there are times when I am able to do the things asked of me—as well as the things I want to do—and there are times when I can’t. This is the reality of my situation and I’m at peace with it. Most of the time.

I think it’s important to ask yourself, “What does it mean to accept my illness?” and “Have I accepted mine?” Both require that you look inward to answer.
Part of accepting your health condition comes by not ignoring it. If you're reading this blog, I think it’s a pretty good indication that you have, or are at least trying, to come to terms with this thing called Sickle Cell.

When people ignore their problems, often they hope the issue will go away on its own. They do what they want to do in spite of the consequences, believing there will be no consequences. What ends up happening is they magnify the problem and make things worse for themselves. After all, you wouldn’t ignore a broken arm with a bone sticking out through the skin and hope it self-corrects. So, why ignore Sickle Cell? It can be just as dangerous if not given proper attention.

Accepting your illness also means learning to manage it. It means making whatever adjustments you need to so you can be as healthy as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your post! I live with a condition called Neurofibromatosis and really struggled with self-acceptance and accepting the fact that I live with a life long, progressive condition! This is a great post, and will help many come out of their shells :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Courtney for your comment. I truly appreciate it when people like yourself tell me that my words have made a positive difference in your life. This is the purpose of my blog; but it receives so little traffic, I sometimes wonder how many people my blog reaches. So thank you for taking the time to make a comment. I pray you find the strength to live a happy and healthy life as you possibly can.

      Delete