Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sickle Cell Foot Ulcers: Using MEDIHONEY

About three weeks ago, I completed my doctor's prescribed twenty-four treatments of, Ultrasonic Mist Therapy (UMT). As I said in my previous post about UMT, it helped my wounds greatly. I was a little disappointed when he didn't order another month of treatment. But apparently, studies have shown that the therapy doesn't help improve a wound any further after two months of treatment. So, for almost three weeks now, I've not been receiving the therapy.

For some reason, the last week of the UMT, a LARGE amount of slough began building up on my wounds again. It was pretty much back to where it was before I began the treatments. When I saw my wound doctor, he called me honey. Well, that's what I first thought. He actually told me to use MEDIHONEY.

As I mentioned before, the UMT really reduced the amount of pain I previously experienced. Though it's been three weeks since my last treatment, I still have very little pain from these ulcers that wound heal. This has allowed me to use honey, and not experience the excruciating pain I did the first time around. So, following my doctor's advice, like the good little boy that I am, I began using, MEDIHONEY, on my wounds. Much to my surprise, after a few days of using the product, the slough that had packed on there began to flake off during my twice daily wound cleanings. After a few days more, ALL the slough was gone and the red flesh beneath, was exposed; which is what is needed for healing.

Over the past week and a half, a thin layer of slough has appeared, but there is also a great amount of red flesh and granulation. I had hoped, since all the slough had been removed, that new healthy skin would quickly begin to grow. Sadly, that hasn't happened. However, like when I was receiving the UMT, the wound is slowly starting to close from the outside in; which is how you want wounds to heal. The progress is slow, but it's there. It certainly is improvement over the non-healing that was taking place before I began the mist therapy; I finally have hope that they will heal in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment