Friday, March 22, 2013

Lidocaine Relieves Sickle Cell Foot Ulcer Pain

I have to admit that sometimes, the pain from foot ulcers is quite severe. For me, the pain is usually the worst in the morning. Sleeping all night with my legs level, it’s when I get out of bed, put my feet on the floor, and all the blood begins rushing to my feet...that’s when it’s most uncomfortable. Often, the process of cleaning the cause also causes increased pain.

I recently went to my doctor and asked if there was anything I could apply to the wound to help with the pain. That’s when he prescribed Lidocaine jelly. The first time I used it, I couldn’t believe the amount of relief it gave me. I wish I had asked for that two and a half years ago when my first ulcer formed. At times, the pain was so severe from the cleaning process that it would take an hour or more before the agony subsided. With Lidocaine, however, relief comes within a minute or two of applying it. I’m now able to clean and dress my wounds with relatively little pain. Lidocaine is something I’d highly recommend anyone suffering from leg or foot ulcers to have in their medicine cabinet.


No comments:

Post a Comment