Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sickle Cell Foot Ulcers: Two New Ones

I'm sad to report that two new ulcers have formed on my other foot. One--the arch of my right foot--is in the exact location that I've had three other ulcers. The second is near the heel of my right foot. Unlike other ulcers that came as a result of dropping something on my foot or bruising it in some way, these formed spontaneously all on their own. Speaking with my Sickle Cell doctor, this is not uncommon. Dr. Bedros said, "Sometimes they happen for no reason and there's nothing you can do to prevent it." That was exactly what I wanted to hear. Not!

When my wound doctor saw the beginnings of these two new wounds, I asked him if I should wait until they break open on their own before treating them, or if I should immediately begin dressing them. He told me to start putting, MEDIHONEY, on them immediately. Again, following my doctors advice like the good little boy that I am, I did as instructed. Though it's only been three weeks, I believe, MEDIHONEY, is promoting healing at a more accelerated rate than what the Silver Cream has for past wounds.

In case any of my readers have not experienced the complication of leg/foot ulcers--and I pray you never do--let me share with you how I'm able to recognize the formation of a new one.

For me, new ulcers begin very small. A tiny scab, that has the appearance of a wood splinter lodged under the skin, will appear. Gradually, as the weeks go on, the scab will become larger and larger until it eventually begins to break open; sometimes that will take a month or two to happen. I have the habit of waiting, watching, and hoping it will improve on its own; but in reality, it continues to grow. The first ulcer I had grew to be about the size of a dime, before finally breaking open. When the ulcer was at its worst, it was large and deep enough that a quarter could have fit inside it. My ulcers typically take three months to heal. As for the wounds located on my left ankle which I've had for a year, the healing process has been hindered by the fact that I have a blood clot in that leg.

Last year when I saw the beginnings of a new ulcer, I didn't wait for it to break open. I began treating it with, Silver Sulfadiazine Cream (Silver Cream for short), while it was still very small. That was a wise choice. The wound did not get nearly as large as previous ulcers and it healed a bit more quickly as a result. Unfortunately, with my two newest ulcers, I didn't use as much wisdom.

The ulcer forming on the arch of my right foot was still in the tiny splinter-like phase when I began treating it with honey as instructed by my doctor. Though it has only been three weeks, I can tell this ulcer is not going to get very large, and it's going to heal fairly quickly. Truthfully, I think in another week or two, it may--and I'm thinking optimistically--be all healed up. One month verses three months...that's a big difference in healing time.

I began treating the second wound that's near my heel, at the same time as the one on my arch. I wish I had followed my instinct and began treating it while it was still tiny. By the time I began applying honey to it, the scab had grown to be about a quarter of an inch long and wide. After three weeks of treatment, it's now over an inch in diameter, and it may not yet be finished growing. I need to lock it in my thick skull that it's best to tend to these wounds early on and not wait. It will literally prevent a lot of pain and agony.

Though the ulcer near my heel has grown larger--as they typically do when they break open--I'm certain the honey is making a big difference. I'm not experiencing as much pain as I have when I've used just the Silver Cream; it hasn't yet become deep; and it appears to be improving rather than worsening. In the past, my wounds take a month to get to their worst point and then two months to heal. Like the ulcer on my arch, I feel as though it's quickly moving toward the healing stage. Based on what I've seen after three weeks of using MEDIHONEY on my newest wounds, I am totally sold on the benefits of nature's Manuka honey over medication.

I do have to note this about the ulcer that's near my heel: I am occasionally using Silver Cream. Though the pain I'm experiencing with this wound is far less than previous wounds, I am experiencing discomfort. For some reason, the greatest amount of pain seems to come at 3:00am while I'm sleeping. I'll have to get out of bed and redress the wound. Because Silver Cream is more soothing than honey, I often will apply it when the pain is at its worst. But then when I arise in the morning, I'll remove the cream and use honey during the day.

As I said before, so far I'm very pleased with the progress my wounds are showing. For anybody struggling with any type of leg/foot ulcer, I HIGHLY recommend using, MEDIHONEY.

No comments:

Post a Comment