Sunday, March 31, 2013

"55 Idioms" - June 22, 2012

[For the past year I've been battling foot ulcers in a pretty severe way; it was the inspiration behind this poem.]

I once was sure-footed, quick to jump to my feet, often jumping in feet first. Far from having two left feet, I was a flat-footed tap dancer. Quick on my feet I may have been called by some twinkle toes or happy feet. Light on my feet, I’d toe the line step by step. With both feet on the ground, the pitter-patter of my little feet sounded rhythmically with footsteps here and tiptoes there. Those days are in my review mirror.

Recently I found myself swept off my feet, thrown head over heels topsy-turvy, entirely knocked off my feet. Where I once stood on my own two feet, I’m now constantly forced to put my feet up and take a load off my feet.

With bandages under foot I slowly move one step at a time. Taking two steps forward and one step back would be preferable to being completely dead on my feet with grass growing under my feet. From all this I’ve nearly developed a foot fetish. For I must always think on my feet, stay on my toes, and take care not to get my foot in the door, step on any toes or open mouth and insert foot.

If I get my feet wet I get cold feet and you may find me in my stocking feet, hopefully free from stinky feet. The pain at times makes my toes curl and causes me to drag my feet. Frequently I feel as though I have one foot in the grave, but am grateful this ordeal hasn’t yet put me six feet under.

Though the agony of my feet has at times been great, I’m grateful the agony of defeat has not yet consumed my spirit. However, some days it has taken a great feat of strength to rise to my feet. I’d happily put my best foot forward, shuffle my feet toward any healer and lay at his feet a debt of gratitude for any help he could provide; though I expect that would be some feat.

I know in time this tender foot will be back on his feet and spring to his feet with bells on his feet. Inevitably, all things come to pass and this trial will fade away like footprints in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment