Friday, November 1, 2013

Angry with God About Sickle Cell?

A friend of mine recently asked me, "Don't you ever feel angry at God for all the things you have to endure?" My answer was, "No." Though this friend and I are of the same faith, this amazed her. For me personally, getting angry with God has never made any sense.

Just as we will return to live with God after this life is over, I believe that we all lived with God as His spirit children before we came to live on earth as mortal beings. I also believe, when we lived with Him as spirits, that we each chose to be born on earth; that we understood the challenges we would face while on earth; and we chose to accept those challenges.

I feel these beliefs are the reasons why I have made the choice to never be angry with God. Yes, there have been times when I wondered why this is happening, times when I've felt lost and confused, but never angry at Father. I believe I chose this life and accepted the trials and blessings that came with it; how could I possibly be angry with God for that?

Whether or not a person is of my faith, I know not everyone has this same outlook. It can be an easy temptation to exclaim to the heavens with clinched fists, "Why are You doing this to me?" As hard as it is, we should train ourselves to instead ask, "What is it that You want me to learn from this?" Or, "How can I be a better person from having had this experience?"

One of my favorite Bible stories is found in John 9:1-3. It reads: "And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."

There are many reasons I like these verses. One reason is that it can be a source of relief to parents. Sometimes parents feel a terrible guilt over their child's disability. This verse tells me that--unless it was through gross negligence, such as drug or alcohol abuse--a parent’s sins or actions did not cause their child to be born with a disability; as sad as it is, some people believe this. They are idiots; don’t listen to them.

The other reason I like these verses is found in the last verse: "...but that the works of God should be made manifest in him." We can't see God's purpose in all things. But one thing I am certain of, you and I were born on this earth for a reason. Sometimes, quite often in fact, the trials that you and I endure from having Sickle Cell Disease is a source of inspiration to other people.

I don't say this boast, but rather to acknowledge God's purpose. I know for certain that my life has touched others. The things I endure, how I endure it, and the way I've chosen to live my life has been an inspiration to many people. I think this is what the last part of that verse means. Your life can motivate people to do and be better.

I have survived many things that should have killed me and have been healed from many afflictions. The miracles in my life, and yours as well, are a manifestation of God's love and power. Though it may not bring much comfort when we are having a horrid pain crisis, the truth still remains that others see our strength and are made better by it.

Living with Sickle Cell Anemia, you and I will face a great number of trials. These are not punishments from our loving Heavenly Father, but are opportunities for us, and others, to emotionally and spiritually grow closer to Him. Yes, pain will come. Yes, complications will arise. But it's how you and I choose to weather these storms that will define who we are as a son or daughter of God. They will also help inspire others.

Don’t allow the pain in your life to put a wedge between you and God. Instead, allow that pain to be an instrument to build an unbreakable bond with your Creator. It will enrich your life, and the lives of others, beyond what words can convey.

2 comments: