Friday, October 25, 2013

Sickle Cell Foot Ulcers: A New Round

As I wrote in a recent post, new foot ulcers have formed on my left foot. Initially, three small spots formed. Now I have a total of five wounds. One is on my big toe; I have no idea how that one formed. It’s as though once the skin begins breaking down in one spot, all the skin in the surrounding area becomes compromised.

For the past couple weeks the pain associated with the wounds has been much higher. Keeping my foot elevated as much as possible helps, but waves of pain still strike for reasons that are unknown to me. I’m grateful I have lidocaine available to me. It really makes a difference.

Initially, for a period of about three weeks, I used Manuka honey on my wounds. When I was finally able to see my wound doctor, he instructed me to stop using the honey. To help get the wound growth under control, he told me to do the following for the next two weeks:

1.    Take an antibiotic twice a day,
2.    Use Silver Sulfadiazine Cream in place of the honey, then resume honey use,
3.    Clean and dress the wounds three times a day.

When it comes having these wounds, I am fortunate that I do not have to go to a job every day. I can’t imagine having these wounds and not having the time to care for them the way I do. If not properly cared for, foot ulcers can go from not so bad to nightmarishly bad in a very brief period of time. At times the pain is comparable to that of badly burning yourself; standing on the wounded foot is agonizing; sleep is interrupted due to discomfort; pain medication doesn’t touch the hurt the wounds produce, only lidocaine helps; and shoes are unbearable to wear.

¶ Two years ago when I first began having a serious problem with my wounds, I was buying many of my own bandages myself at the dollar store; and it was costing me a lot of money. When I saw my doctor, the nurse asked if I had bandages and such, I said yes not realizing what they were asking. It wasn’t until I talked with my sister whose a nurse, that I learned that doctors can write prescriptions for wound care products and my insurance will pay for it.

Before I came to this realization I had spent nearly $100 of my own money on wound care products. Once I got a prescription, I received all the things I needed through my insurance; I no longer had to personally buy only the things I could afford. I felt so stupid. I didn’t realize what my nurse was asking me. Thankfully I wised up. Now, the only thing I have to buy myself is the honey, which admittedly isn’t cheap.

¶ To parents who have children who struggle with this most unpleasant complication, please recognize how painful these sores can be. If your child doesn’t recognize the importance, help them see how vital it is to properly take care of their wounds. As soon as one appears, get your son or daughter to the doctor as soon as possibly, preferably one who specializes in wound care.

To Sickle Cell patients: I encourage you to take care of your legs and feet; make the necessary social sacrifices to take care of your wounds; don’t wait to see the doctor; and be patient.

Yesterday I could have gone to see Jay Leno’s garage and to the filming of the Tonight Show, but I didn’t go. It would have been a very long day. Lately, my foot swells if I don’t keep it elevated. When it swells, the skin breaks down faster and my wounds grow larger. I knew if I went and did what I wanted, my wounds would be the worse for it. As much as I wanted to go do those things yesterday, I decided it wasn’t the wisest thing to do.

My point is, know your body, know how your wounds behave; know what makes them worse and what helps them improve; and have the courage to do exactly that.
Stay strong, have faith, and choose to be happy. Until next week my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment