Friday, June 28, 2013

SIckle Cell Foot Ulcers: They're Healed!

In spite of the difficulties I'm having with my hips, some positive things are happening. I mentioned in the post, "Blood Clot No More!" that the clot in my left leg is gone. So that's good. It's been two years since my last hospitalization, and it was six years before that. But what I'm most happy to report this week is the two leg/foot ulcers that I have had since March of 2012 are 100% healed!

From June of 2010 to June 2013 I have had a total of ten foot ulcers. When at their worst, nearly half of my left foot was covered with open wounds. When I had to clean them, the pain was so bad at times that it literally made my heart hurt. To go from never having had a single foot/leg ulcer in my life, to having ten very severe ones over a three year period...it's been a challenge.

I understand now why and how some people loose limbs from wounds like these. When they appear, they can go from not too bad to VERY bad in a crazy short period of time. If a person is unable or unwilling to: 1) take the time to properly clean them; 2) endure the pain of cleaning them; 3) receive proper medical care; and 4) stay off their feet...the wounds will only continue to get worse and heal time will be lengthened.

The past two years has certainly been a trial of faith and patience. Thankfully I've had countless people praying for me, I've had the support of family, and excellent medical care. I wish I could believe that I will never have another foot ulcer again; but the truth is, it is a new complication that I don't see ending any time soon. I'm certain another wound will arise in time. But until then, I will protect my feet and legs and manage my health as best I can.

While it is true that I am struggling with the reality of needing a wheelchair, there still are blessings in my life. In addition to my wounds healing and my clot being gone, I've had very few pain crisis the past two years. This has been a gift from God. With the amount of pain I experienced with many of my wounds, it should have thrown me into a pain crisis; but it didn't. With the high amount of pain I am having in my hips, that too should be triggering more Sickle Cell pain than it has.

While the pain crises are there--in fact, I've been having a mild one for about a week now--the crises aren't/haven't been as bad as I know they could be. So like I said, some good things are happening.

I pray you can also see, acknowledge, and give thanks for all the good things in your life. I am certain there are many.

No comments:

Post a Comment