Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ensure and Sickle Cell

The past two years have been the hardest of my life, medically speaking. I’ve dealt with one issue after another. Over the past two years, I’ve dropped from 125lbs to 100lbs. Depression has certainly played a roll in my weight loss. Having a desire to eat, and craving any kind of food, has been a big challenge. The past year, I’ve been eating only because I knew I had to, not because I was hungry or wanted to eat.

Preparing to have two hip surgeries in the near future, weighing only a hundred pounds seriously concerns me. So I began looking online for something I could eat or drink to help put some weight on. One of the products I came upon and have been using is, “Ensure.”

Ensure is a nutritional drink. Hospitals often provide it to help supplement a nutritional diet; if you can call hospital food nutritional; or food for that matter. Ensure is often given to senior citizens; by that I mean, sick old people. That idea might discourage you from wanting to drink it; but it shouldn't, Ensure is a great product.

If you follow the Ensure link provided, you can see they offer six different drinks. Some focus on improving muscle health, nutrition, or weight gain. Wanting to get as many extra calories in me as possible, I began drinking Ensure Plus about seven days ago. Ensure Plus has 350 calories. I’ve been drinking it twice a day.

Two days after I began drinking it, I noticed a significant improvement in how I felt. I had more energy, I felt more alert, and most importantly, I started to have an actual appetite. In addition to the extra calories, Ensure provides twenty-four vitamins and minerals.

I think, because I hadn’t been eating as I should, that I may have been malnourished a bit. Since Ensure is helping me to get nutritionally balanced, and is providing extra calories, I’ve felt like eating and have been willing to do so rather than forcing myself to eat. Though it’s only been seven days since I began drinking Ensure, I have already put on two pounds. Not to mention the fact that I feel SO MUCH better.

Many people with Sickle Cell struggle with their weight. For anybody who has problems putting on the pounds—a problem most people would kill for—I highly recommend drinking Ensure. It comes in different flavors. I prefer chocolate; not that I’m prejudice against vanilla, I just prefer chocolate. I’m talking about food, of course.

Hopefully, by drinking it each day, I can continue putting some weight back on. I am totally, sold on Ensure.

No comments:

Post a Comment