Friday, April 12, 2013

Sickle Cell Foot Ulcers: Using Manuka Honey

I had to write about how amazed I am with the benefits of honey. The ulcer on the arch of my foot is entirely healed! I began using Manuka honey on it very early on. In less than two months time, it healed more thoroughly than any of my other wounds have, and in a shorter period of time. Sadly, the wound on my arch expanded to the bottom of my foot. The pain from that wound has not allowed me to use honey on it. However, the ulcer on my heel is also healing at an accelerated pace.

I haven’t been able to use honey for the entire duration of the wound on my heel. For the first several weeks, I was able to use Manuka honey; but after, that I had to shift to Silver Sulfadiazine Cream. In spite of stopping the use of honey, I feel it helped reduce how badly the ulcer became.

For anybody who struggles with foot or leg ulcers, I HIGHLY recommend using Manuka Honey, or MEDIHONEY, on them for as long as you can tolerate using it. My use of this product over the past month has...made me sweet on honey. Though admitted, I’ve always been sweet as honey.

2 comments:

  1. Does the honey cause any pain? I have an ulcer I am going to see the Dr about tomorrow but I have never tried honey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I encourage you to read the sections "Leg Ulcers-My Experiences" and "Leg Ulcers-Treatments." To answer your question, yes, honey can cause pain. But it depends on what condition your wounds are in. Sometimes it causes a mild stinging sensation that fades after 10-15 minutes. Other times there's no pain. Other times it's very severe and I can't tolerate it at all. Depends on the state of my wounds. Right now I've been able to use honey on my wounds with little or no pain. I hope that helps. But please read the other posts. There is info that may help you. Good luck and I hope your wounds heal soon.

      Delete