Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Retinopathy & Sickle Cell Disease

Retinopathy (or eye problems) can arise as a result of Sickle Cell Disease. I read of one person who literally woke up blind one day. For this reason, it is VERY important to have your eyes examined every year by an eye doctor (ophthalmologist).

Ophthalmologists are eye doctors, which is different than a optometrist, who is not a medical doctor. Though they put a solution in your eyes, which causes them to dilate, the exam is painless. I admit, until a couple months ago, I had let this important yearly exam slide. It had been a several years since I had my eyes checked. Thankfully my hematologist stayed on me until I got my eyes examined. And I am happy to report a clean bill of health, as far as my eyes are concerned anyway.

Living with Sickle Cell Disease is kind of like owning a car; there is a lot of maintenance involved. Trust me, I know how tiring it can become always having to go to the doctor and have this or that test done. But taking care of your body is important; and these little checkups are important.

I hope you, my reader, has a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

Until next time.

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment