Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Night and Pain: Sickle Cell Foot Ulcers

Well, the good news is the set of ulcers on my right foot that broke out on my birthday have totally healed!!!! The bad news is I have seven new ones on my left foot. The first broke open around the end of August. As is typical, the skin breaks down around that first wound, causing several others to break open. They kind of look like a chain of islands.

There are several things I find odd about these wounds. The most odd thing is the fact that they seem to hurt the most from around 9pm to 5am. When my ulcers are at a certain stage--the stage they are presently in--I am awaken up one to three times during the night because of the burning pain. I have to get out of bed, clean them, put some lidocaine on them for the pain, and redress them.

I often wonder if this is typical; if other patients who struggle with ulcers experience the same thing. It's can be difficult to remain positive when one is extremely sleep deprived. But, I am doing my best. I know these wounds will heal eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment