Wednesday, May 4, 2016

New Interests

Regardless if you are healthy or living with a chronic illness, it's important to find things that bring distraction and enjoyment. Recently I felt the desire to learn to play a musical instrument. After doing some research and watching too many YouTube videos, I decided on the Mountain Dulcimer. I had never heard of nor seen this instrument before, but when I found it on YouTube, I was captivated by it. In time I found one that fit my budget and began playing it the day it came.

I've had the instrument a couple of months now. I practice for at least an hour a day on average 4-5 days a week. Frequently, the hours fly by, and I find myself lost in this new pursuit. It truly is bringing a great amount of enjoyment.

For me, whether it's writing, drawing, or learning to play an instrument, my various hobbies have always helped to: distract me from pain; keep my mind active; provide needed distractions; and allowed me to feel as though I'm growing as a person in new ways.

By exploring new interests--or encouraging your loved one to explore new interests--you may a new source of joy in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment