Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sicke Cell: Gaining Weight with Avocados

Over the past two years, I have gone from weighing 125lbs to 99lbs. In my post, Sold on Ensure, I spoke about how drinking this product twice a day had helped me put on three pounds. After about two weeks, I stopped drinking Ensure because I noticed my ankles were swelling. The product has moderate levels of potassium in it, and potassium is something I have to be very careful with. When I stopped drinking Ensure, the swelling went away. So until I talk with my doctor about how much Ensure is safe for me to drink, I’m holding off on adding it to my diet.

When I stopped drinking Ensure, I lost the weight I had gained and dropped down to 99lbs. Clearly this isn’t good. I’m very concerned about my weight loss. Talking with my brother, who is BIG into nutrition, he told me to eat 2-3 avocados every single day.

Avocados are a high calorie natural food. People trying to loose weight often eat nothing but avocados. So I gave it shot. For about three weeks now, in addition to my three meals a day and snacks in between, I’ve been eating one to two avocados each day. The other day I stepped on the scale and was amazed to see that I had put on eight pounds! Wahoo!

In the afternoon and/or evening, I will cut an avocado in half, sprinkle a little salt and pepper on each half, and scoop out a spoonful at a time and eat it. I use them as a snack, not a meal; or I will eat one with my meal; or I will make a salad and cut the avocado into chunks and put it on my salad (yes, the entire avocado; pit and peel excluded).

Hopefully I will keep gaining weight as I continue to do this. So if you or your child has a problem gaining weight, a problem not entirely unique to Sickle Cell patients, I would suggest try adding avocados to your diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment