Friday, November 8, 2013

Sickle Cell Disease: Faith vs Fear

In the words of Yoda the Wise, “Fear is the path to the Dark Side.” So why am I quoting Yoda? One, he’s my favorite Star Wars character; two, fear is the topic for the week.

On the Sickle Cell Warriors facebook page, I’ve read several posts about how fearful this or that person is about many of the complications that could arise in their future. They live in constant worry that Avascular Necrosis will become an issue; they fear the next pain crisis; or feel anxiety about another hospital visit, to name a few. If you are presently experiencing this, please, do not take my words as a criticism. In no way am I criticizing your feelings. I just want to address this issue.

It’s human nature to fear the unknown, and with Sickle Cell there are many unknowns. I think knowledge is the first tool that can be used to quiet the fear within. If you are worried about needing a hip replacement surgery sometime in your future, the best thing you can do is learn all about Avascular Necrosis, what causes it, and what you can do to prolong its affects. Talk with your doctor, ask if there are procedures or medications that can help improve circulation to the hips and shoulders.

Until I was told I needed both hips replaced, I was fairly ignorant of the fact that hip replacement surgery is common for Sickle Cell patients. There are a great many things I wish I knew five years ago; perhaps it could have made a difference in where I am now in regards to my hips. Perhaps it wouldn’t have made any difference, but I wish I had educated myself better.

Yes, there are certain realities to our illness. But just because Sickle Cell throws this or that complication at me, it doesn’t mean you will experience the same thing; Sickle Cell affects each of us in different ways. Changes in diet, sleep, stress levels, physical activity, and medications each can have a powerful impact upon our health. Sometimes a small change can produce great results.

¶  Living with constant fear in your heart can be emotionally crippling. It will add unnecessary stress to your life and will negatively impact your health. Talking with other Sickle Cell patients can of comfort. If you are like I am and don’t personally know anybody who has your illness, there are other sources available like: facebook pages, support groups, online forums, and other Sickle Cell organizations. Talk with other patients and find out how they cope with the unknowns of their illness. It may empower you. I understand there is a pretty informative blog out there.

¶ I have always been taught that fear and faith cannot exist in the mind and heart at the same time. You either have fear or you have faith; you can’t feel both simultaneously. Having faith (obviously in God) is sometimes a complicated thing. Personally, I’ve never worried too much about what complications could arise in my life; instead I’ve had faith that God would: 1) empower me with the emotional and spiritual strength to endure them; and 2) grant my body the physical strength to either cope with or over come them.

I recall my mother once said, “Jon just takes everything in stride. He really doesn’t let things bother him.”  To a large degree this is true. I’ve always been of the mind, “What will be will be, and I’ll face what ever comes if and when it does.” That doesn’t mean I’m reckless in how I live my life, it just means I didn’t worry about things. I learned a long time ago that anxiety, like jumping into a cold swimming pool, only negatively impacts my health.

Beyond the what I’ve already said, and without getting preachy on you about God and faith, I can’t offer any additional advice on how to overcome the fear you my feel about your illness. I only know that God will get you through your next complication just as He has all previous ones. I know this because that’s what He has done for me.

The only control in life we have is self-control. There are a number of ways to manage your health through knowledge and self-control; everything else is in the Master’s hands. Have faith my friends that with God’s empowerment, you possess the strength to endure all that comes your way. Have faith that no matter what comes your way, you will be a better person for it. Have faith that God watches over and loves you. Have faith, not fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment