Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sickle Cell Foot Ulcer: Strikes Back

Well, it was nice while it lasted. My previous two-year bought with foot ulcers concluded joyfully in June of this year. Sadly, however, October brought with it a new series of ulcers. I’m not entirely sure what I did to trigger this wound.

About three weeks ago, the heel of my left foot became swollen. I think I may have hit it with the front wheel of my wheelchair, but I don’t know for sure that’s what caused it. An ultrasound ruled out a blood clot, so it’s not that, thankfully. But as I feared, the swelling caused my skin to break down in three places on my foot, and they evolved into three foot-ulcers. (That’s three separate ulcers; not ulcers three feet long. That would truly be horrific.)

A week’s worth of antibiotics has prevented infection but not the development of the wounds. While the wounds were still very small, I began treating them with Manuka Honey. I’m praying the honey will work as well has it did on previous wounds and cut down on healing time. But so far, they are still getting larger, as is typical.

I try not to allow myself to get depressed about the onset of these new ulcers. I know there are people out there who have dealt with the same ulcer for more than fifteen years. Others have lost limbs due to them. So I really have no cause to complain.
Overall, I think that’s the message of this post. 1) Remember, somebody out there has it far worse than you do. 2) Positivity of thought makes all the difference when coping with your newest trial. 3) Know what works with your wound and/or health care and do it sooner rather than later.

Be safe my faithful readers. Take care of yourselves and have faith.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jon, sorry to hear that, I also have one that started end of september... I am also clueless as to what triggered it, its the second time this year after 3 years of being ulcer free. My wife suggested that she firmly believes its tied to my state of mind, she says they popup when I'm upset or going thru some stress/emotional stuff, have u ever considered that? Like I've told u b4 been battling with these since 1992 and not yet been able to figure out a pattern, sometimes years of silence other times they appear several times a year on either foot without any noticeable change in lifestyle. Pls would really appreciate ur take on the stress/state of mind trigger. Thanx. Stay blessed. Yoab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your post and devotion to my blog. I do pretty well at keeping my stress down. I don't get stressed too often. For me personally, I do not believe my foot ulcers are linked to stress. Pain crises, most definately are connected to stress but not ulcers. I think it's all about circulation; how much blood is flowing through the veins and capillaries, and how many healthy red blood cells are carrying oxygen. I often say, "the only thiing prediictable about Sickle Cell is that it's unpredictable." I wish I had an answer as to why we have them some times and not other times. Just the nature of the beast that is our illness.

      Take care of yourself and your wounds.

      Jon

      Delete
    2. I was thinking more about stress. Stress does cause your blood vessels to constrict. Though I don't think stress impacts whether or not I personally have foot ulcers, I can see how it could be a factor. So perhaps stress is a factor for you. I would suggest you get in the habit of meditating each day. I have found when I faithfully mediate each and every day, that I am much more at peace and calm than when I don't. You can find information about some of the techniques I use on my blog in the sections entitled, "Controlling Your Pain" and "More on Meditation." I hope that helps.

      Delete