Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sickle Cells Can Kill Tumors?!

I recently came across the following article: Sickle Blood Cells Now Being Used to Kill Tumors. It is VERY interesting. I encourage you to read it.

One of the benefits of having Sickle Cell Disease is that it gives us a greater resistance against Malaria. I once thought that Sickle Cell Anemia made me immune to Malaria. As I did more research, however, I learned that I only have a greater resistance against it.

Now it seems as though sickle cells can kill various kinds of cancer! That is, astounding, amazing, wonderful, awesome, and a laundry list of other powerful adjectives. The idea that the abnormal red blood cells that have caused so much grief in my life may be able to benefit people who are fighting cancer....somehow it makes me feel almost proud to have Sickle Cell Disease. Not that I have ever been ashamed of my illness, because that's never been the case. But this....it's difficult to put into words how reading that article made me feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment