Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Winter's Tale

The change in weather can be a difficult time of year. Passing out of summer and into winter brings: shorter days, colder weather, increased pain and complications, more likelihood of hospitalization, and even depression.

With Sickle Cell Disease, cold weather equals more pain. In my adulthood, most of my hospitalizations have occurred during the winter months. This is because the cold has such a profound negative impact on my body.

Drinking the necessary amount of water can be challenging in the winter months. Because it's cold, I often don't feel like drinking the water I know I need to. It takes discipline and focus to avoid dehydration.

Staying warm means layering my cloths; usually lots of layers. I'm talking, thermal underwear (maybe two sets), long sleeves, sweater, scarf, gloves, coat, hat, and perhaps a blanket for extra good measure.

People who are not sensitive to the cold don't understand what's it's like for those of us who are. Most people, when they get chilled, are simply uncomfortable; it's an annoyance. For Sickle Cell patients, becoming chilled means pain; the sensation of needles jabbing you all over your body. And it may not go away once you are warm; it may last hours, days, weeks and even result in hospitalization. Staying warm is essential to our health.

The shorter days in winter clearly means less daylight. Less sunlight can lead to depression. My mother and I both are like Superman, our strength comes from the sun. When the winter comes, we grow anxious and depression and irritability are much more common. She and I both hate the winter.

So what is my point in talking about this? I really don't have one. I'm joking. My point with all my posts is to improve awareness. It's to help provide insight to those who have loved ones living with Sickle Cell. It's also to help encourage those living with SCD. 

Living with SCD is hard. Most people can't come close to understanding how much work it takes for us to stay alive and out of the hospital. Though it takes more work for us to stay alive, life is worth living. Never forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment