Friday, April 4, 2014

Avoiding Hospitalization from Sickle Cell Pain Crisis

For my few faithful followers, I apologize that I’ve been sporadic in posting lately. For the past two weeks I’ve been really sick. Thankfully, through God’s grace, I managed to stay out of the hospital.

Recently, a doctor asked me how I managed my illness so well. The question was prompted by the fact that it’s been two years and ten months since I was last hospitalized; before that it was six years.

Last week I was running a fever, having a severe pain crisis, and fighting the flu. There were moments when I was certain I was going to have to go to the ER. I’ve come to loath the very idea of very hospitalized, so I did all I knew to do, to stay out.

I frequently monitored my temperature and took Tylenol to keep it down. I also kept blankets and as many cloths off of me as possible. To ensure that I didn’t become dehydrated, I made sure I drank half a glass of water every half hour. In addition, I used my oxygen concentrator 24/7 through the worst of it. All these things, and a lot of prayer, worked together to keep out of the ER.

Like I’ve said in other posts, knowing your body is of the utmost importance. Know what you can do at home to take care of yourself, and have the discipline to do it. But know also, when not to wait too long. Once, when I was eighteen, I caught the flu and waited too long to go to the hospital. My hemoglobin dropped down to 2.0. It nearly cost me my life.

This time around, though I did all I knew to do to stay out of the hospital, I was right on the line there for a while. If I had gone another day feeling as poorly as I did for the first three, I probably would’ve had to be hospitalized. Thankfully, I began to improve.

I hope each of you manage your illness to the best of your ability. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment